Monday, April 30, 2007

USA Day Four

Got up early and caught the Metro into LA to go shopping. The Blue Line goes straight from Long Beach to Downtown LA so I got off there. There was a small mall in the middle of the financial district (at the bottom of the Ernst & Young building!) but it didn't have the shops I wanted so I got on the Metro again and caught the Red Line to Wiltshire & Western station, then caught a taxi to the Beverly Center. It was quite a long journey! About 1 and 3/4 hours. When the cab driver dropped me off at the Beverley Center I couldn't find the entrance and ended up having to circumnavigate the entire building until I walked up the ramp of the car park!

I wanted to be back in Long Beach to see J&P off by 3pm so I didn't have huge amounts of time to shop. But I managed to get the items on my list - some knit tops from Banana Republic, new shoes and makeup from Stila.

Did the return journey also in 1 3/4 hours and got back to catch up with J&P. Nancy picked us up and we drove down the coast to visit the Wayfarer's Chapel. It's a lovely glass church designed by Lloyd Wright, Frank Lloyd Wright's son.

We visited Nancy's condo which overlooks the harbour - fantastic views! She could see Janet and Peter's boat come in on Saturday. One of her friends gave me a ride back to Long Beach while she took J&P to the airport to catch their flight back to New Zealand.

I ate at the restaurant across the road from the hotel, Utopia - great Californian style food with a very attentive staff!

No comments: