Friday, April 27, 2007

USA Day One

After leaving Auckland about 9pm, I arrived at LAX the same day about 3pm! Flight was really full this time - no lying down! Never mind, I still got some sleep.

Long tortuous arrival through US Immigration. The queue is so long! We had a special Air NZ queue thank goodness because half the people on the flight had to go through immigration, pick up their luggage and then check in again for the second leg of the flight through to London. None of this easy transit lounge for a couple of hours. Ridiculous. I'd never do that if I didn't have to, such a hassle.

Saw Shaun Ryder standing in the immigration queue, looking very shifty. He was on his way to the Coachella Festival.

I managed to get out ok, and catch one of the Super Shuttles to Long Beach. My hotel, the Best Western at the Convention Center, was nice and central - loads of the hotels in Long Beach are accessible only by car, so I was glad that it worked out ok. Standard Best Western Hotel, but nice and clean with a big bed.

Took a walk around, down to the beach. The barriers for the Grand Prix that was held earlier in the month were still up. The beach was huge, but it was a bit late in the day for a swim. I walked around the shoreline and then along to the Shoreline Village, a newish development with shops, bars and restaurants. I had dinner (some lovely aki tuna) at Gladstone's and then walked home via Borders.

No comments: