Sunday, December 20, 2009

San Diego - Saturday 19 December

I'm staying at the W Hotel in San Diego which is a bit of a splash for my trip home, and also because it was a bargain on hotels.com. W Hotels are highly branded experiences - the pool area is called Wet, the gym is called Sweat etc., etc. I've got a Wonderful room which has an enormous king size bed, and a HD TV. The design of the whole hotel is quite beach inspired and one of my pillows is the shape of a beach ball. There's even an outdoor bar area called Beach where all the young people are congregating of an evening! There is a complimentary car that will take you anywhere you want to go but I haven't tried it just yet. The hotel is in downtown San Diego which is pretty anonymous really, but it's walkable to the train station, and the bus and trolley links, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. The lifts have welcome mats in them - depending on what time of the day it is, they say 'Good Morning', 'Good Afternoon' etc, so someone must be appointed to change them at a certain time!

After a very nice long sleep, I went for a quick swim in Wet, then caught a bus from downtown out to La Jolla, one of the coastal towns north of San Diego. It took about an hour on the bus, which was a little longer than I'd thought, but it was an entertaining journey with some nice coastal bits. La Jolla has a couple of interesting little beaches and a marine reserve - lots of sea lions and seals, plus huge cormorants swooping overhead! There were a few surfers, snorkellers and sea kayakers, but even though it was lovely and sunny and about 20 degrees, it wasn't warm enough to get me in the water! I had some lunch at a bistro, and ignored the 'Fondue Forever' place, then had a walk along the beach and browsed in a couple of shops.

Got back to the hotel in time for my massage (lovely) in the spa and then a quiet dinner in the brewhouse next door.

No comments: