Friday, October 03, 2008

Greece Day 6

Another quite lazy day today... I was up quite early though as I wanted to get my hydrofoil ticket for tomorrow and visit the post office before the 10am taxi boat. However, the weather was a bit threatening and so the taxi boat was cancelled! Gutted!! There were definitely some very threatening clouds gathering to the south so I don't blame the skipper at all.

I'd arranged with the family that I would appear on the Symi Visitor webcam at a certain time so made sure that I was there for that rendezvous (although I'd got the time conversion a wee bit wrong and Dad hurried me up). Just as I was standing there a strange bloke came up to me and asked me if I knew why the sun wasn't shining. Thankfully his English wasn't that good so he got bored with trying to talk to me and wandered off.

I wandered back to my apartment and wrote some postcards, before going down the catch the 1pm bus over to Pedi Bay which is quite close to Yialos. Bus was really full and I ended up sitting next to a baby who was about a year old and fascinated with my hat and sun glasses. I had great fun playing with him.

When I got to Pedi the weather made the bay a bit choppy so I decided to walk around to Agia Nicholas, which is the next bay around. The path was a bit rocky, and I didn't wear appropriate shoes (just my fit-flops) but it was fine overall. Took about half an hour. When I got there I had a swim and some lunch then watched the clouds for a while. When it did start to spit I decided to head back to Pedi. I'd just missed the (hourly) bus back to Yialos so I wandered back on foot. In theory the direct route should take about half an hour, but due to my wandering and exploring it took over an hour and was great fun, although steep! Was a bit worried that the steps that I was going up and down were actually private property but I don't think Symians have the same concept of private as we do! Found my way ok in the end.

Enjoying the 80s music in the bar - I heard 'Da Da Da' by Trio just now - that's a blast from the past!!

No comments: