Monday, June 27, 2005

Malta Day Three

Made a quick visit to St John's Co-Cathedral this morning. Although I've seen enough churches in my travels to last a lifetime, I was glad I made the effort as the interior is truly spectacular. Lots of carved wooden walls and a floor which looked like playing cards all laid out. In a side room there were a couple of Caravaggios, including one of the beheading of St John the Baptist. It's pretty gory, but this guy sidled up to me when I was looking at it and asked whether I'd like to buy a copy of it. I said (in a polite way of course) that I thought it would be a terrible painting to have on your wall!

Caught the bus to the ferry at Cirkewwa next - it's a journey of about 90 minutes and was very hot! But it was really interesting to see the different towns. The buses are really only for local people and tourists doing day trips so it was a bit awkward carting luggage around. Independent travellers are not very common I guess!

At Cirkewwa, I took the Comino Hotel's boat over to the island. I'd booked into the Comino Hotel for three nights - the hotel is virtually the only building on the island so it promised to be nice and relaxing!

No comments: