Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Croatia Day 4

After loading up on the included breakfast at the hotel, I went for a swim, then packed before catching the 1230 ferry back to Split. It was a great trip, really sunny the whole way. So I had a lovely time sitting the sun, reading, listening to my iPod and watching the ocean go by.
Got into Split OK, then booked my ticket for the 1600 catamaran to Jelsa on Hvar. After a drink and a pastry and a bit of a postcard writing I boarded the cat. It was very comfortable and fast, but I still missed sitting outside! This was more like being on an aeroplane. After talking to a couple of Irish girls on the ferry, I realised that perhaps the bus from Jelsa over to Hvar town might be a little busy so I made sure I legged it to the bus station. Bus ride took us over some spectacular hills and Sara met me at the bus station. She'd booked me a room at the Dalmacia Hotel which is very central, so I'm staying there for the next couple of nights.
Hvar town is lovely - quite considerably more lively than Vis town, but very marbled and Italianate again. It is absolutely teeming with people and yachts. One yacht that we saw looked so luxurious! It was registered in the Cayman Islands and had a security guard standing on the quayside. The rumour around town is that Tom Cruise, fresh from attending the Venice film festival, was here a couple of days ago in a four story yacht! Wouldn't be surprised but not really the way to do an inconito holiday at all!
After freshening up, we headed out to meet James, an Australian guy Sara had met earlier and two Swedish people he'd met, John and Michaela. We had a few drinks at a bar in town, then headed to a local restaurant where I had some scampi - had no idea they looked kind of like prawns when in their shells! I will never look at scampi and chips the same way again!
A neighbour from the restaurant, Will, came and joined us for a board game of Learn About Croatia. We couldn't understand the rules at all so just made up stories about different places we'd never been to.
It ended up being quite a late night...

No comments: