Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Greece Day 3

Sitting in the local cafe (which has wireless internet access) and drinking a Mai Tai. Am going to pick up some bits from the supermarket for dinner tonight after an underwhelming and expensive dinner last night. I had hoped that local fish restaurants would have fresh calimari (Li-Ann and I are trying to find somewhere to rival the 'best calimari ever' in Dubrovnik) but it was all cooked from frozen. Never a good sign when your calimari comes with an extra sharp knife...

Actually didn't sleep terribly well last night due to the sighting of centipedes on the walls above my bed. It freaked me out! I was all ready to storm down to the accommodation center today and demand somewhere else but it was closed and I decided I should really tough it out. I'll be more aggressive with them tonight! Just the thought of them falling onto me while I'm asleep isn't good...

I just missed the 10am taxi boat to the bays, but got a seat on the 11am. There were four stops on the east of the island and I stopped at the second to last, Nanou. It was a lovely bay with (free) deck chairs and umbrellas, a little cafe, and only about 20 other people there as well. Surface was pebbly so it was lovely and clear and I did quite a lot of snorkelling. Lots of fish around mainly, including a mad green and purple one in the shallows. Saw a big school of flying fish, flying. Had some lunch in the cafe and immediately got invaded by a horde of hornets which was pretty unpleasant. The waitress sensed my distress (ie my arms trying to swoop them away) and brought over a wee urn of coffee which she lit. They mustn't have liked the smoke so they all flew away. Magic!

Spent a very relaxing afternoon. I've started reading Midnight's Children which is going well. I'd also been reading the new Philippa Gregory 'The Other Queen' which is so frustrating - she repeats herself again and again. It's an interesting story - about Mary Queen of Scots being under house arrest with the Duke of Shrewsbury before she's killed. But it's really plodding. Hopefully Salman Rushdie will show her how it's done. I don't doubt he will!

Weather's still very sunny, but with a bit of a cold wind sometimes. And you definitely need a cardigan if you're sat outside in the evenings.

No comments: