Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Budapest - Slovenia Day 4

Got up super early to catch the 8.45 Venezia Express from Budapest to Ljubljana (if you're wondering how that's pronounced, it's loo-blee-ah-nah). Journey was supposed to take about 7 and a half hours but they ended up running about half an hour late. Never mind! The train was super comfortable and I shared the compartment with two Croatian guys. One was about 50 and lived in Budapest. The other was from Dalmatia but was actually born in Melbourne (to a Croatian family) and had moved back to Croatia when he was six. So that was interesting to have a bit of a chat to them. We actually travelled via Zagreb which I didn't realise at first but now I guess it makes sense geographically. Scenery wasn't very exciting until we left Croatia and entered Slovenia. Landscape then started to get a lot hillyer with lots of little towns and tiny churches up the top of mountains etc.

Arrived in Ljubljana and then had about an hour til my train to Bled. Bled is about an hour out of the capital and is beautiful - a picture postcard place! There's an island in the middle of a lake with a church on it, and a castle on the hill overlooking the town. Really looking forward to exploring tomorrow! I'm staying at the Hotel Trst and I have a room that looks over the lake - so exciting (that's my room in the top right-hand corner)!

Just had dinner at Restaurant Okarina - it's the asparagus festival here at the moment so I did have some!

No comments: