Monday, May 16, 2005

Budapest Day 2

Well I´ve finally made it to an internet cafe in Budapest. It´s actually a holiday weekend here in Hungary this weekend (Whit Monday) so lots of stuff is closed. But not the important touristic stuff of course!

Flew in here on Saturday night and I´m staying at the gorgeous Hotel Gellert which is actually a bit of a city landmark. It´s mainly famous because of its gorgeous pools. There is an outdoor pool and an indoor pool and then thermal pools which are segregated for men and women. The whole pool complex is gorgeous! It´s all art nouveau, with lovely mosaics and decoration. Someone said that it´s like swimming in a cathedral and that´s pretty accurate. Luckily I get free access to the whole complex which was a big factor in me parting out the extra money to come stay here. The rest of the hotel is ok, my room is pretty small but never mind!

Yesterday, I did a bit of a walking tour of the city. Caught the funicular from the river up to Castle Hill which is where the Old Town is. Spent the afternoon up there, including visits to Fisherman´s Bastion and the Budapest History Museum. The History Museum was actually fab. There are loads of rooms cut deep into the hill (the hill was formed by the thermal activity) and so there were lots of nooks and crannies to explore. You could even go caving if you wanted but I wasn´t that keen!

Today I went on a tour out to Statue Park which is where all of the communist statues are now displayed. I joined a tour which was a Spanish woman and I, who were taken around it by this Hungarian man. He was really interesting. We could ask him about anything to do with Budapest so it was great to get a Hungaran opinion! We also went to an apartment where they had recreated a communist era home. They even had a Hungarian version of Monopoly which wasn´t about capitalism and buying stuff at all but about being nice to old ladies and saving money. Hilarious!

This afternoon I walked up to Hero´s Square which is where all the old rallies, May Day parades etc were held. Also, I took a tour of the Budapest Opera House which is probably the most gorgeous theatre I´ve ever been in! Sublime decoration.

As it was a beautiful day I went back to the hotel and had a swim and a bathe in the gorgeous thermal baths. As it was a national holiday, there were loads of holidaying Hungarians.

After my soak, and with a very red face from all the heat, I met Heike, a German woman I had got talking to at the baths for dinner. She had organised for us to go to Kaszu, recommended Hungarian restaurant. As it was recommended bz the hotel, it wasnćt the cheapest but it was certainly memorable! The food and service were excellent, apart from the ever present violinist and pianist who played cheesey classic and pop hits all night, taking requests from the guests rich enough to tip!

No comments: