Friday, March 05, 2010

epic!


Oriental Bay, Wellington
Originally uploaded by MhairiT
I took a loooong walk today from my home in Thorndon all the way around the shoreline to Scorching Bay. According to mapmywalk.com, I walked about 11 miles, and got a couple of wicked blisters for my troubles!! But it was a lovely sunny day and it was lovely to do a bit of exploring. I stayed beside the water along Oriental Bay (where this photo was taken), Evans Bay, Shelly Bay Road and then around the point to Scorching Bay. Stopped for lunch at the Chocolate Fish cafe, which has moved from Scorching Bay round to the old army buildings at Shelly Bay - it now has a BBQ menu as there's no proper kitchen. It's a great spot, although definitely not as scenic as its previous spot but at least the waiters don't have to dodge traffic! I visited Scorch-a-rama which is on the site of the old Chocolate Fish Cafe at Scorching Bay for an icecream at the end of the walk.

Stupidly I'd not stopped for a swim en route and the wind had got up by the time I got to Scorching Bay so I just had a paddle - never mind, next year! The water was really clear and clean looking the whole way. Caught a bus back to town which ran along Miramar Heights - at one stage there was a plane landing and we were higher than it!

No comments: