Sunday, September 06, 2009

Alan!


Alan Cumming
Originally uploaded by Sarah Penrose
I went to see Alan Cumming in his show 'I Bought a Blue Car Today' on Friday night at the Vaudeville Theatre. The show is a collection of his favourite songs and focuses on his last ten years living in New York. Alan became an American citizen last year so that he could vote for Obama (unfortunately he just missed out and couldn't vote) and the phrase 'I bought a blue car today' was one of the sentences he had to write down as part of the English test.

There was a huge variety of songs - a Dolly Parton song, a Cyndi Lauper song, and then some from different musicals, Chess, Cabaret and Hedwig the Angry Inch (my favourite!). There were also a couple of songs that he'd written as well - quite comic lyrics. Alan interspersed the songs with anecdotes, chat and witicisms which we all lapped up. I was sitting next to an excitable American who whooped at every opportunity but it all added to the excitement. There were about ten musicians onstage, some of whom were the brunt of Alan's jokes.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - Alan has a great voice and is a really entertaining stage presence! I've seen him onstage before in Cabaret (in New York) and in Bent and he's always brilliant!

No comments: